Tuesday, June 29, 2010

fungus

the Sigma 24-70mm lens which i brought is actually fungus-infected and it costs me $280. ):


I did check properly prior to buying because I spot that there's a spot with a lot of hair like strands but I didn't know that's fungus. I actually thought fungus are algae. I asked the person and he told me he don't know what it is but it's not fungus. And being ignorant, I just paid for it and was still very happy about it until this afternoon, when I sold this lens to another buyer, who ask for a refund at night because he feel unsafe about that spot but I sold him for $450, and he only ask for $400 as refund. well, I could properly use the extra $50 (with properly a little top up) to clean the fungus.

this fungus had me read on every little information about fungus for 3 hours by googling and I'm trying this method - using UV rays to kill fungus. Well, for this method, I learnt how to remove a UV filter (I've never bother to try in the past). let's hope I can ask for a refund. ): ):
the seller agreed to meet me on weekends to collect the lens from me.

however, I will still continue to purchase second hand goods.
this is me, I don't let a first time failure scare me.

Lesson learnt - i know fungus doesn't appear in the form of algae. And I'm glad I don't have a huge collection of lens because i don't have a dry cabinet to keep my lens in, and it is a must because fungus will grow if you keep it in dark and humid places for very long time. Well, gladly, I only have a 50mm f1.8 which I used it almost everyday and 24-70 which I use it almost weekly.

No comments: