Wednesday, June 30, 2010

hand in my MQE report today.
I actually like writing the report because I felt like I'm writing a blog post. :)
plagiarism is at all times low of only 3% (the first and only time)
mainly because the only reference is the power point slides found in MeL.
some are a bit twisted, but not far from the truth. :D



Individual Written Report


NLP is the short –form for Neuro-linguistic programming. As the name suggests, it is a skill used to allow people to understand how one’s brain work and how it actually affects an individual performance and attitude, and lastly to program it to make it think in a better way and improve our life.

The purpose of this report is to elaborate about how the concepts that I’ve learnt had helped me.

Presupposition

Presupposition is assumptions we made whether it’s true or false in different situations we faced. We use presuppositions without us realising. Presuppositions are also considered as belief.

For instance, when I heard that there’s an oncoming exam, the first assumption I make will be “I have to pass”. This, in turn, will make me create a presupposition that in order to pass the paper, I will have to start studying. Also, by starting studying earlier, I will have more time to revise and do the past years paper because it is known that the format and how the questions are phrase are more or less similar to the past years paper. Just before entering the exam hall, my mind believes that I’m prepared for the paper already and this has certainly made me feel confidence of the answer I’m going to write down.

In another instance, I remembered I had this friend who believes she cannot do well in her studies. She always thinks that she is a slow learner and subconsciously, her mind starts to believe so. However, I knew that it’s not because she’s not a slow learner, but rather because her subconscious mind already made her brain believe that she is a slow learner and she had this presupposition that she can’t do it. During our O levels, she came to me for help for A maths only 1 day before the paper. I helped her and I was rather frustrated with her, mainly because she keep repeating negatively comments about herself like “I can’t do it”, “I will flunk the paper” but during the whole time when I was showing her how to do the problems, all she did was stare at me blankly.

Representational Systems

Each of us is a unique individual and our brain stores information that we got from our 5 senses – sense of sight, sense of hearing, sense of sensing, sense of smelling and lastly sense of tasting. Some of us prefer to rely on a particular sense to pick up information, for example, a visionary person would means that the person absorbs information using his sense of sight.

Most of the time, it’s not easy to tell what a person preferred representational system is by a short conversation, but if you observe carefully and asked the correct questions, it’s actually easy to tell the person’s representational system. For me, I find it’s extremely easy to distinguish a visionary person than the others. They keep looking around and when you are talking to them in a crowd place, they tend to be distracted by things they see.

I tried this on a classmate of mine who I had lunch with, I was talking halfway when I see that his eyeball is moving to the girl standing beside me and I had to wave my hand to get his eyes back, he also like to do really random actions. One of the recent incidents I remembered was he stopped suddenly when he was walking, then he started to run. After which I used the elimination method to confirm my guessing, I ask if he’s uncomfortable with people standing really close to him and he said yes, he prefer to stand further away from people. From this, I can conclude that he is not a kinetics person. Next I asked if he remember faces or names, he told me he remember faces easily, from this, I can conclude he is definitely more towards visionary then auditory. Last was auditory digital, when he is talking, I realised he is able to maintain really good eye contact, which means he is not an auditory digital person. From the above, I can see that he is a visionary person.

Other than that, I’ve tried this on two of my other friends, one which I’m pretty sure he is a kinetics person. I asked him to describe the beach he saw when he was overseas, when he describes it, his eyes were moving towards left and right, but not moving up or down. He is definitely not a visionary person because he is rarely, if not never, affected by things he sees, in fact, his eyeball is always down. What betray him though, was he always uses words that had to do with feeling, like “I feel like...” Another friend of mine, I’m pretty sure he is an auditory digital person, if not a visionary person. He can processes information very fast. I remember giving him just a table with figures. He took just minutes to process everything out. But he can maintain good eye contact too, which makes me doubt at times that he might be a visionary person.

Overview

I’ve learnt that our subconscious mind is a very powerful weapon. If you believe you can, you can. It is always important not to think negatively because after a while, it will go into your subconscious and your mind will start to believe the negative. Also, I learnt that different people with different representational system will have different way of communicating. For example, I learnt that if a visionary person is distracted by things they see when I’m talking, it’s not because that person is disrespecting me, whereas a kinetic person will tend to walk towards the person because he needs to feel that the person is still there and not because he had some sort of problem.

References:
MEL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful journey and experience!

Singyi said...

thanks! (: